October 7, 1903, a charter was granted to Doric Lodge No. 30 in
Grand Master Harry J. Guthrie, naming Edward F. Reynolds, Worshipful
John W. James, Senior Warden, and George L. Barnett, Junior Warden.
1910, James Hocker served as
Senior Grand Warden, the first of six members of Doric Lodge, who were
to be elected to office in the Grand Lodge of Delaware. This occurred
the formative period in the establishment of the George Washington
National Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia.
was followed by William B.
Derrickson, who was elected Junior Grand Warden I 1918, another
period in Masonic History since it marked the establishment of the
Service Association, which has continued to dispense Masonic charity
our nation in times of peace as well as war.
1945, Urah W. Long was elected
to serve as the first Grand Master from Doric Lodge. During his year he
successful in bringing to fruition the “Sussex
Cottage”. This was a much-needed
addition to our Masonic Home. Under his guidance and inspiration, the
Sussex County launched a drive, which raised over $10,000 for this
R. Hudson was elected
Senior Grand Warden in 1952, the year which marked the 200th
anniversary of the initiation of Brother George Washington in
Virginia. It was also the year that President and Past Grand Master
Truman presented each Grand Lodge with a stone, bearing a Masonic Mark,
the White House.
1958, Elias H. Tingle was
elected Senior Grand Warden during which time cornerstone ceremonies
conducted for Wesley College’s new dormitory and classroom,
as well as,
Milford’s new library. It was also during this period that
the newly added
Lodge room to the Newport Masonic Temple was dedicated.
in 1975, Hugh A. Stephens
was elected Junior Grand Warden. This year marked the Bicentennial of
country’s independence as well as the 170th
anniversary of the
founding of the Grand Lodge of Delaware, all of which were observed
over a century now the
Brothers of Doric Lodge No. 30 have labored to keep the light of
shining bright in Millville.